Feb 20 2010
In case anyone’s been wondering why my blog hasn’t been updated for a while… there are a bunch of reasons. A 1 sentence reason would be: my environment went insane! It all started with the lack of organization in the past couple months, which began with me graduating from college (w00t!). After this, I ended up with a lot more time than I’m used to having, along with the lack of ability to use it properly. All of this, along with big changes in my life led to a big disorganized mess building up over time concerning my site, development environment, and life in general.
Here’s a quick summary:
- Started looking for a job, put off development for a couple weeks while I celebrated graduating, tried to figure out my living situation, and dealt with my first job offer fizzling due to interviewing for a position that wasn’t sure to exist.
- Moved in with my girlfriend, and moved my development webserver with me (a Gentoo hardened machine named Polaris).
- The tweeters on my studio monitor speakers blew out during a frequency sweep in the 19-20kHz range! Note to self: CHECK LEVELS FIRST IN THE AUDIBLE RANGE! Especially before trying to reproduce frequencies on the border of the inaudible range!
- Finally ran an ’emerge -avuDN system’ and ’emerge -avuDN world’ on Polaris. Had to resolve a couple blocks that arose & rebuild a bunch of stuff multiple times (ran ‘etc-update’ and ‘revdep-rebuild’ ad nauseum).
- Fixed database backup scripts that kept emailing me once a day about how they were failing.
- After server was updated, tried updating WordPress via the method I previously posted about & ran into a big issue with SVN. I ended up having to rebuild from a fresh SVN checkout of the latest WordPress release, and re-checkout my installed plugins & other changes on top of that.
- After rebuild, so far site seems stable & development server is also mostly sane & stable. Success at last!
This whole process happened over the course of months, alongside taking care of stuff with life in general. My monitor speakers are currently in the process of making their way back to me after getting new replacement tweeters. As such, I’m still waiting to be able to release and/or redo the mixes for the new LyraPhase episodes that were aired on radio.mines.edu after October 12th, 2009 (Episodes 004 -> 011 !!).
NOTE: I’m no longer in college, so the live radio show is now over with. However, I am planning on doing a podcast online. This will start with the remaining original LyraPhase episodes, and will continue from there.
I’ve currently got a recording of 004 almost ready to go, but I’m really thinking about re-recording it now, along with some of the others. The reasons for this are: I had 1 poor track that didn’t flow well in 004, and I’m confident I can now mix much better, and have learned a couple new tricks.
To my few fans that have been waiting patiently: don’t worry, the episodes ARE coming as soon as I get my speakers back. I’d estimate that 004 should be out sometime in the next 2 weeks (depending on the time it takes them to ship the speakers back to me).